After Settlement ActionMonday, February 08, 2016
Once settlement has taken place on your new purchase, there is something extremely important to attend to. That is changing the locks to the property.
It is strongly recommended to change all of the locks on doors, windows and any other entrances to the property. The reason, it is difficult to be sure all of the keys were handed over at settlement.
People may have had spares keys created and gave them to relatives, neighbours or trusted friends, and after a chain of events that culminates in moving into your new home, you need to feel safe.
To provide peace of mind that unknown people cannot access your new property, there are several options to consider:
- Rekey all locks: this entails the existing locks remaining but the locks being changed so only a new key can be used as opposed to the existing key.
- Replace all locks: this is a more expensive options, which may be considered if the state of the locks no longer provide comfort for you and your family.
In the event the new family home has a security system, it is strongly recommended to change the alarm code as well.
Besides the security of your new home, other things that may slip your mind when moving include:
- Mail redirection to your new address with Australia Post
- Update your details with your bank, and other institutions e.g. Superannuation, Medicare, Private Health Insurance to name a few
- Update the address on your Drivers’ License